Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Thanks Home Depot for digging your customers!

No pun intended as...well, I had a gardening issue.

I've heard horror stories and had personal experiences w/workers at Home Depot (my husband worked for a while there on the grave yard shift...and hated it on so many levels). Alas, I digress. This is more of a consumer issue.

With THAT out of your mind I can now inform you of a bit of a mishap. I purchased three blueberry bushes from HD back in spring...now they're grown quite a bit but the berries on them do not resemble blueberries. I thought they were huckleberries and a friend of mine who is quite the amazing gardener told me to be cautious as they may be a bit more toxic.

Which they were.

Turns out after taking the above noted precautions not as seriously initially since I ate a berry and did not have explosive and scary bodily functions, I made it a point to inform the Home Depot gardening department about my weird blueberries via email and sending along pictures; they are indeed black nightshade. ???? Somehow my blueberry bush morphed into this scary weed that is prevalent in our region (our region being the midwest) and was under the guise of being a type of blueberry. So, now I was asked repeatedly how I had planted the bushes and I explained I pulled EVERYTHING out prior to planting and made a huge hole; big enough to plant my family but they behaved well and I had no need for that hole aside from our new residents, the Bleue Berries.

So with my little scare and concern I was expeditious in not only giving info re: weird blueberries, but I was not treated like a chump as most corporations do; IE, repeatedly ask annoying, condescending questions as if you can't find your butt with two hands, but they too were expeditious in returning emails and phone calls as well.

But I did speak to the manager of the nursery who handles most of Home Depot's plants and not only was I informed of the nightshade and that I should get rid of them immediately, but am getting a credit of blueberry plants I actually plant now as the autumn is actually a better time to plant berries in the midwest (well, anywhere from what I read as well) according to the nursery manager.

Now who woulda thunk on both counts, IE, having such a nice and quick response to my problem and amazing gardening tips and advice? Now I have much more respect for the corporate section of Home Depot with their kind and generous offer, the timely manner in which this was handled and the wonderful advice that I took notes of for future reference; it's all good!

I'm very excited about my new blueberries, about the bevy of info Home Depot's reps gave me, and the fact that they treated me with respect. I actually cannot wait to dig out the icky Nightshades and plant up my berries which I hope will grow beautifully by next September.

Well, let me get my plants first, then I'll REALLY sing Home Depot praises and probably dig on Joey Logano even more-so (Tony Stewart is my guy and I was a bit disappointed when he left Home Depot).

Now, let me get an application to apply at a Home Depot.....snicker.....no, not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to voice your opinion or just say "wow, funny article! Wow, funny face, WOW funny kids? Then just do that...right here....

Story of an "unknown" soldier.....

OK, now here’s the story about that headstone. Back in late summer my kids, mother and I went to Resurrection Cemetery to pay respect to ...