Thursday, November 18, 2010

I'm thankful for my local ABC channel.....




Why? Well, I'm not too thankful for ABC Family Channel, who has the nerve to show ridiculous Christmas movies and loads of commercials, including that terrible DSW Shoe one w/the obnoxious "B" word giving an earful of a complaint to the tune of "Jingle Bells." I am, however, quite thankful that they aired "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" the week before Thanksgiving. I'm so tired of having Christmas shoved down my throat via retailers, TV, and whatnot;(in Chicago, a local radio station has started to play Christmas tunes on the 12th this year...and that's ALL they play. There's not even a decent variety as they seem to have the same, exact playlist EVERY single....daaaay. Bleh...anyway. We are in the midst of a season of giving, the beginning of the holidays(which some say now starts w/Halloween). While the stores are overflowing with Christmas cheer(and decor...some up since July), Thanksgiving can sometimes get swept under the rug. And that makes me very sad, actually. Sure, we all know the story of the First Thanksgiving -- or do we? -- in fact, did you know that they most likely ate fish and broke bread with the American Indians instead of turkey? In fact, Squanto was instrumental in the survival of the Pilgrims that winter of 1621. He was a Patuxet Indian which was a Native American tribe of the Wampanoag tribal confederation. They lived primarily in and around the area of what has since been settled as Plymouth, Massachusetts and are now extinct. So much for helping out, yeah?

But sometimes these days and weeks before the holidays can leave us feeling anything but thankful. We're stressed, over-extended, broke, unhappy, unfulfilled, angry, frustrated...to name a few.

Maybe I'm talking about myself....no, I'm not....

What do you forget to be thankful for? What should we thank God for? I'm sure we can all think of a long list of things we ought to give thanks for.

I'm thankful for my family, a roof over our head; food we have. I'm thankful my husband still has a job(w/the economy the way it is? It's a good thing), our son's school is right down the street is a thankful thing. My health, winning $10 in the lottery, JK Rowling, Brian Epstein for discovering the Beatles, HD TV, a Stanley Cup Championship, my friends....

I thank God for it all. I thank God for Jesus as well!

Just to name a few things I'm thankful for.....

What SAY you? What are YOU thankful for?

BTW...did you notice the picture from "Charlie Brown Thanksgiving?" Notice someone is missing? Yup! That crab-arse Lucy isn't in this show. Anyone know why? Just wondering...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to voice your opinion or just say "wow, funny article! Wow, funny face, WOW funny kids? Then just do that...right here....

Story of an "unknown" soldier.....

OK, now here’s the story about that headstone. Back in late summer my kids, mother and I went to Resurrection Cemetery to pay respect to ...