Monday, December 17, 2012

Small businesses in the western 'burbs of Chicago ROCK!




So, I've been doing loads of interviewing and viewing of small businesses in and out of the city itself and I am one tired beeesh. I find as of late the 'burbs seem to be a bit more open and receptive in regard to having their business plugged by a consumer/RN/writing momma who has a big mouth and loads of friends, especially well over 600 contacts on a certain social network where I more than freely express my opinion...than the city businesses. Perhaps I should have a cameraman behind me ala "Ben Loves Chicago" but that's hard to do w/a limited income and a zoo of kids and a service dog in tow. You'd think that just the word of mouth and a verbal agreement of a promise of a blog of said business would suffice; but alas! Perhaps it's also the old mentality of Chicago business owners having to grease palms of certain individuals to keep their business afloat thwarted their mindset for free publicity, as I get no compensation from my yapper nor really had receptive responses from some city businesses.

Well, during Berwyn's annual "Deck the Depot" which occurred December 8th I along w/my zoo had the honor of patronizing a fabulous little store in Berwyn called "Fly Right Gifts." Just down the street from the Berwyn Metra depot at 6902 Windsor this little treasure is filled with so many adorable goodies to satisfy any age and budget! There are environmentally "right" toys, cosmetics and cleaning products as well as recycled jewelry at great prices! There are dog toys, other handmade goodies made by local artists, water bottles that don't look stupid according to proprietess Laurie; even a 'fridge magnet that states "Berwyn" on it.

Wouldn't that make Svengoolie proud?

The shop is tiny yet cozy and has an old-school feel; along the lines of the dime stores/Ben Franklins from days gone by. Laurie will even let little ones fill out a shopping list of sorts to make for Santa which will go to both parents and Santa.

Stand up straight and to "Fly Right" click on the link for Laurie's website and blog HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to voice your opinion or just say "wow, funny article! Wow, funny face, WOW funny kids? Then just do that...right here....

Story of an "unknown" soldier.....

OK, now here’s the story about that headstone. Back in late summer my kids, mother and I went to Resurrection Cemetery to pay respect to ...